Tart, coconutty and simply out of this world. This gluten-free and dairy-free cake is a showstopper. We served it at our Tiki-tastic annual tiki party and it disappeared! This cake is inspired by The Coconaut. It was originally mixed by Beachbum Berry who still shakes […]
Author: Tiki Baker
Aloha, y’all! Channeling Palm Spring with this vegan Date Shake. It comes out a bit gritty, but I’m sure that could be solved with a more expensive blender. Dreaming of Palm Springs with my #vegan Date Shake 🌴 #whole30 #glutenfree #dairyfree #lactosefree A post shared […]
Won’t exactly fix the woes of your day but it’s tasty. No added sugar in this one! Perfect for pool parties, backyard luaus and neighborhood hangs.
4 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
1 oz orange juice
1 oz Coconut milk
2 oz apple juice
Shake of cinnamon
Shake of nutmeg
Shake, rattle and roll. Enjoy.
I’m not going to lie, this cheese cake is WORK but the reward is so sweet!
Want to mix a Rum Barrel to drink while you bake? I used the original Ports of Call version of the Rum Barrel on the Total Tiki app.
WARNING: This recipe is still in the TEST KITCHEN. I haven’t made it more than once so it might be a disaster. Bake with caution!
- FOR THE CRUST
- 2 C. King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 Tbs. unsalted butter, well chilled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 8 to 10 Tbs. iced water
- FOR THE CUSTARD FILLING
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Finely grated zest and juice 3 lemons
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 orange
- 4 large free-range eggs, plus 4 yolks, beaten
- 2 cups Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1/4 cup passion fruit juice
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 2 packets gelatin
- 8 oz Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Follow the crust method at Comfortably Domestic. It really is "The Best Gluten-Free Crust" Go to: https://comfortablydomestic.com/2014/04/the-best-gluten-free-pie-crust/
- Chill your dough in the freezer for 1 hour or overnight or longer.
- This sounds crazy, but it works. Grate with a grater the chilled dough into the tart tin, then quickly press evenly into the base and up the sides of the tin with your fingers to make a tart case. If it starts to feel greasy, chill it in the freezer for 5 minutes, then continue. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Line the chilled pastry case with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake for 25 minutes, then remove the foil and beans and bake for 3-4 minutes until the base has no grey patches and feels sandy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Heat the caster sugar with the lemon and lime juice and zest (reserve the juice of ½ lemon) in a large pan over a medium heat until dissolved. Turn the heat to low and add the beaten eggs and yolks. Whisk with a balloon whisk until the mixture starts to thicken, then swap to a wooden spoon and stir for 10-12 minutes until thick and curd-like. Keep stirring to stop the mixture curdling. If it looks like it might curdle, remove from the heat, keep beating and return to the heat once it has cooled a little.
- As soon as the filling has thickened, pour it through a sieve into a bowl and, using the wooden spoon, beat in the softened butter, bit by bit. Stir in the passion fruit pulp.
- Add the gelatin to water. Heat 3 tbsp of the filling in a small pan, remove from the heat, squeeze the water out of the gelatine leaf, then stir it into the hot filling until dissolved. Stir the mixture into the filling in the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese with the icing sugar and the reserved lemon juice.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case, then dollop small blobs of the cream cheese mixture over the top. Use a skewer to swirl the mixture into pretty patterns.
- Leave the tart to set in the fridge for at least 3 hours before slicing.
HUGE MAHALO Delicious Magazine for the passion fruit cheese cake inspo – https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/lemon-lime-and-passion-fruit-cheesecake-tart/